Monday

Short Blog, Pt. I

Elizabeth Drew Stoddard's Lemorne versus Huell leaves the reader feeling somewhat confused. It almost reminds me of Breakfast at Tiffany's, in a way, where the constant question is, "Is she or isn't she?," which is constantly asked of George Peppard's character; and he, as I'm sure many of the readers of this tale, don't know how to respond to that question.
Margaret seems to me to be a woman who truly is a slave to her station, or her place in society. She really has no choice over what she does in life; everything is either decided for her, or the "other choice" really isn't a choice at all. Her meetings with Mr. Uxbridge do not seem to be guided by chance, but rather by the meddling Aunt Eliza. I really do think that she should stick to minding her own business.

I also found their romance to be artificial and more planned than anything else.

That's all for now. My brain is still fried from the paper, so the following blogs may not make much sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment